Monday, August 13, 2007

the always awkward "i see you got your hair cut" convo

the gender divide widens. as regular readers (hi friends!) of my blog may know, i just got my hair cut. some observations of the experience.

when a girl mentions the change of hairstyle, it usually is along the lines of "OMG, your hair is so cute! adorable! tres chic!" no one's actually ever burst into french complimenting my hair, but the point is, women have a very effusive and complimentary approach to new hair. as fake it can seem, it's at least easy to follow up (as the complimentee) with something like, "oh thanks sooo much. i'm so glad you like it. it's such a big change, but i've been thinking about it for ages. blah blah blah." it can be shrill, but at least it's something.
however, if a boy says something about your hair (if he even notices), it's often a short, unemotional statement of fact. the classic, "oh. you got your hair cut. huh."
i like to reply with a "yes, i did get it cut," a lame attempt at a joke (my current fave: "i got quite a bit off. wanted to get my money's worth. har har"), and then an extended hands deep in my metaphorical pockets silence.
the men in my office are especially good at this awkwardness, but at least they noticed in the first place. one boss said it was very "becoming" and another commented "sassy." my favorite, though, was the never before heard "you got your hair changed." this young buck really knows to make a girl feel speshul.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

You know, I keep getting comments on my hair, despite having cut it roughly eleven weeks ago. So good luck with that.

8/14/2007 10:11 PM  
Blogger Jina said...

hahaha--i'm going to use that "so, you got your hair changed..." :) hope you're getting through your crazy schedule just fine and dandy. this week's been hell on earth for me, as well. can't wait to come see you! ciao.

8/16/2007 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home