Thursday, June 07, 2007

if i were a movie critic ...

i'd be rotten tomatoes. no really.

andy sent me this cool movie critic tool that matches your tastes with mainstream critics. i really don't like who they've matched me up with, but here goes:

* Rotten Tomatoes : 90%
* James Bernadelli[sic] : 85%
* Peter Travers : 82%
* Roger Ebert : 80%

what does this say about me? i apparently like what the masses like. UGH. i wish i were more hip and counterculture.

james berardinelli is the man behind reelviews, and i checked out his top 100. it's not to far off from the AFI top 100, but i really like the deletions and rearranging he did, (citizen kane #1? please)

as for peter travers, that's probably more embarrassing than rotten tomatoes. travers has the unfortunate reputation of being a total hack, and this review (of the reviewer) says it best:
Problem is, Peter Travers is a sanctimonious blowhard, a buffoon with nothing to say and painfully limited ways to say it. You can almost sense him scanning other reviews, looking for what he perceives as the popular view, then flipping a coin as to whether or not to play along. He likes to consider himself the consummate outsider, but he's about as daring as creamed corn.

i don't really have any problems w/ roger ebert, so we'll leave it at that.

in my defense, i surprisingly haven't seen a lot of the movies on the list (too mainstream? who knows), so i'd like to think the results are skewed. i just wish i were more like owen gleiberman. he's my hero. and my favorite.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Forster said...

I basically got the same thing as you:
* Rotten Tomatoes : 87%
* James Bernadelli : 85%
* Peter Travers : 81%
* Roger Ebert : 79%

I'm way more negative than most of them, especially on Finding Neverland. I really didn't like that movie. Oh and Wedding Crashers was way overrated.

6/07/2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger alison said...

andy had rotten tomatoes as #1 too. maybe this is all a scam for us to look at rotten tomatoes. then again, that makes no sense b/c anyone who would take this quiz probably already knows what RT is, right?

6/07/2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Allen said...

Call me a sanctimonious blowhard, then! Yup, I got Peter Travers:

* Peter Travers : 84%
* James Bernadelli : 83%
* Rotten Tomatoes : 83%
* Roger Ebert : 80%

I have to admit that toward the end of the survey, I started pulling stars out of my ass, meaning that I basically got bored with it and started making stuff up. I blame it on my short attention span.

6/08/2007 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home