Wednesday, November 07, 2007

gmail interface update

anyone else notice the changes gmail made yesterday? most of them i like, but i also have gripes.

likes:
the contacts box looks so much better now. if you roll your mouse over the names, the popout that you get just looks more professional. nice work.

also, i like how you can roll over names in emails themselves and get a little popout box too. i think i'm calling these boxes by the wrong name, but whatever.

when you archive or label messages, the alert box is now a more mellow shade of yellow. that mustard color wasn't really working for me.

dislikes:
now the header reads "Gmail - Inbox - ________@gmail.com," where before it just read "Gmail - Inbox." i liked this uncluttered look much better. why do i need to know my own email address? when i have a bunch of tabs or windows open, i don't want to look at more letters than i already have to see.

the drop down for labels now has a scroll bar. i liked when the drop down just showed all the choices you had. i hate scroll bars, especially if you don't have a mouse w/ a scroll button (such as my wireless mac mouse). maybe you don't notice, but i do, and it sucks.

overall though, design tweaks aren't a bad idea. there are more, but they aren't worth discussing. did i mention gmail rocks?

3 Comments:

Blogger kingkool68 said...

You're so lucky, you got the Gmail 2.0! You can easily revert back to the old version. Check the upper right links.

Some say messages load quicker. More in depth here -> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/10/gmails-new-version-is-now-available.html

11/07/2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger Mike Forster said...

I hate that gmail-inbox...__@gmail.com thing, too. When I have it in tabs, it looks like someone is trying to chat w/ me, but it's just my own email address...what's the point of it?

11/07/2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

As a person who lives with two other gmail accounts, i like having my e-mail address at the top, so I don't have to read e-mails to figure out if I'm in my account or one of theirs when I open up the computer. Just something to think about.

11/13/2007 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home